Monday, August 4, 2008

Our Dad, Lily's Beloved Grandpa Don

This is a super emotional post. This is Grady's father Don, married to his mother Fairy, who just passed away on July 26th 2008. Don was so incredible. He truly was the most Christ-like person I knew. He passed away during the Spud Man Triathlon in Idaho. He was only in the beginning of the swim, (a little over a tenth of the way into it), when he passed away. Don lead the wave he was in when he suddenly stopped swimming. Two women swam over to him and asked him if he was ok. They reported that he could not speak or respond to them. They said that his eyes were open under his goggles, he had a peaceful look on his face, and then he started sinking. The women tried to keep his body afloat, but were not strong enough. Don was only 60 years old. The autopsy was inconclusive. It actually stated that Don had the heart of a 25 year old. I believe now, that Heavenly Father took him because he needed Don in Heaven. I believe that Don's work here on Earth was completed with emese success and that he lived his life to the fullest. I absolutly love and admire Don, and with every part of me want to strive to live my life like he lived his.
(about 1 mo. ago)
I think this is the hardest part for me. Knowing that my little Lily, will never have the opportunity to know how great of a man her Grandpa was. Of course, I will teach her all I can about him, but I was really looking forward to all the things he had instore for her! I am so thankful that he had the opportunity, in her short life of 4 months, to take her for 12 hours, just her and him, while I was at work. He adored Lily, and I know he adored having her all to his self. I believe that Lily visits him while she sleeps. I kinda feel like babies haven't passed through the veil completly yet.
(our wedding)
Don was the most giving man in the world. He just barely suprised Grady with a new BBQ for his birthday because he knew we were having a backyard BBQ party with Grady's friends. Don was always doing things like that. I wish I had enough room to list all the giving things he has done for us, but the post would take way to long to load! But more importantly, I wish I had enough room to tell you how much he has changed my life. If I honestly could make it to be as good of a man as he was, I will have reached a point in life where I could be "beamed" up to Heaven as he was!
Grady and I bought Don and Fairy Family pictures for Christmas because it was about ten years ago since the last time they had them taken. We just barely had them done about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Don was so thankful for them. If he had any idea how thankful we were to have taken them! These are so precious to us. (You might have remembered my post a couple times back, these were on the say day.)
Fairy is doing just ok. Somedays she is strong, and others, well, they are just hard. Don will never, ever be forgotten. And I hope we never forget how much he loved us. I hope we never loose sight of how he lived his life. He was such and example. I believe Don lived a wonderful successful life, and I am so thankful he was my father-in-law. He was incredible, I live you Don.

video

Don's 60th Birthday bash at TGI Friday's. You can see how much he was loved just by this short clip. (Look at how many people came to his birthday.) Don was the CEO of the TGI friday's franchise here in Utah and Idaho. He also owned all the Winger's resturants. Don was successful with his work, but always put his family before anything else. In his honor,

" Love in your heart wasn't meant there to stay, Love isn't love till you give it away!"

21 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Shar, I'm so sorry. My love to you and Grady!!!

Brooke B said...

Shari-
I don't know you but I know Grady and I have met Don a LONG time ago. I was in paramedic school with Alaina and hung out with Grady and Cody at bit. I am so sorry to hear about Don, my heart goes out to you guys and Fairy, how hard. He was so young, lots of people are keeping you in their prayers!
Brooke Dowdell Butler

sue-donym said...

Shari-
What a loving tribute to a wonderful man. I am so glad I knew him (and because I knew him, I got to know you and Grady)

My prayers continue to be with you and your family.

Love,
Susan Bradford

Angel said...

Shari,
I feel so horrible about what happened! A guy in my ward was actually good friends with Don so I heard about what happened, but I had no clue he was your father-in-law. That was such a sweet tribute you wrote to him. It's not the first time I've heard what an amazing man Don was. It must be true. We will keep you in our prayers!

Hailey Kandell said...

What a sweet post to what sounds like a wonderful man. We will keep your family in our prayers!!!

Jewels said...

Sweet Shari! You are more like Don that you realize. You are such a giving person - you have the biggest heart. The girls and I often talk about how you are so genuine - solid gold. Thank you so much for letting Cody and I attend the services, they were beautiful. Cody got a little emotional, we all did. He was an incredible person and we think of your family often. Please let us know if we need to babysit Lily again! We love you guys, our prayers are with you.

Trent And Tara said...

I am so sorry that happened Shari. Death is never ever easy. It's so hard how it is so sudden. I agree with you though..Heavenly Father needed him more. I feel like I know him you explained so much about him. Faith in our Lord Jesus Christ is the only thing that gets us through these trials in life. I will be praying for you. Love always. Tara

Mark and Lachelle said...

Shar, I don't really know what to say to make things better, as death is never easy. I only met Don a few times, but I know he was a great man and he was needed more in Heaven. Our prayers are with you and Grady's family! I love you guys, and let me know if you need anything.

Scott and Chelsey said...

Oh wow! I'm so sad. I can't believe it! I love you guys and wish you the best. Give Grady our love and we will be praying for you guys and Fairy. Love you!

John and Shelly Hyde said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. We will keep your family in our prayers.

Chris Sarah and Charli Pugmire said...

I hardly know what to say. What a blessing it was, that he was able to meet and spend time with Lily. He sounds like such an amazing grandpa, husband, father, and friend. Your family will be in our prayers. Hang in there!

~Conradis~ said...

Shar, I am sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my grandfather earlier this year. It makes me sad to think of the times he could've had with my little girl too. The comforting thought & feeling I always get is that he will be her guardian angel watching over her. I know that Don will watch over Fairy, and your family... What a great blessing to have him in your lives. What a great thing for Lily, she will know him and the love he has for her.
Don will watch over grady, you, and lily. He will be able to know your future children and have the chance to prepare them for their crazy family...
You are a very special person Shari with a great gift. You are kind and loving and accepting. I have no doubt you are like Don...
My prayers are with you and yours at this time. Please let me know if you need anything. For now here is a long distance hug, my friend. My heart aches for your loss...
"When someone you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes the greates treasure."

Chase and Nichole said...

Hey Shari! Just wanted you to know your family has been in our thoughts and prayers. Don sounded like a wonderful man.
Nichole

Sarah said...

Shari, what a beautiful post. I am so sorry for your loss and will keep all of you in my prayers. Sounds like he was a wonderful man and you are right, he will continue to do wonderful things.

Ali said...

I'm so sorry- he sounds like such an amazing man. How awesome that you guys got those pictures and how awesome that he passed away doing something that he loved. It's still so sad though and hard to say goodbye. You will be in our prayers.

Mark and Torrey said...

We were so sad to hear about Grady's dad. Please let us know if we can do anything for you guys. We are keeping you in out thoughts and prayers.

Tj and Amy said...

Shari- my name is Amy Pugmire used to be (bolda). Grew up with grady and The Morehouse's were our neighbor's. this was such a tragic loss. Don was such a wonderful man, I can't think one bad thing about him, he always had that huge happy grin on his face and you couldn't help but love the man instantly. we all know without a doubt he is in a much better place. I didn't have time to introduce myself at the funeral but wanted to tell you that you gave a wonderful talk. you are all in our prayers.

Michelle said...

Wow, what a hard thing to loose a parent. I have lost a grandparent that I was really close to but I can't imagine losing my mom or dad. I hope you and your family are doing okay! Sounds like such a good guy!

April said...

Hey Shari-
It's April (Bolda) Jacobson. I just wanted to tell you and Grady again how sorry I am about Don. He was like family to me and my family. I loved him so much. Every time I'd see him, even if it had been quite a while, he'd come up and give me a big hug and smile. I actually had to bear my testimony about him on Sunday (the first time in years.) I just had to let everyone know what a great man he was. I hope that I can be like him too. He was an amazing person. I'm so glad that Lily got to know him a little bit before he left this earth. All of those pictures you got taken are such a blessing! You and Grady did such a good job speaking at the funeral, and I'm so glad I got to talk to you the day before. Please send me your e-mail so I can send you an invitation to my blog. Just e-mail me at aprilsmail@gmail.com. Thanks Shari! P.S. You guys are all in our prayers!

Chase and Nichole said...

Girl you are to kind. How about you looked that freaking HOT when you were prego! And you look amazing now. I am excited for you guys that you are in your new house! Our house is in south Lehi. Kinda out by the lake. We love it. Hey I really want you to come to my baby shower in a few weeks, I text you about getting your address but I don't know if you ever got it. Ill call you with the info.

bpilly said...

WOW that was an amazing post about Uncle Don. I think of him still to this day just about everyday! He really was a great man. I did not even know the half of it since I am so far away. I miss him so much and I know my mom is still broken hearted having lost him.

Thanks for writing all of that it was a great reminder of the man I miss very much.